Monday 17 March 2014

Swallowtails - perfect inspiration!

The inspiration for my swallowtail was a  request  from a very good customer and fashion blogger
Fashioneyesta, https://www.facebook.com/Fashioneyesta. After purchasing several of my other hatchlings Emily asked if I had considered a Swallowtail butterfly as it reminded her of a childhood story. After several sketches I felt I had perfected the shape and made my first sample. I decided to keep the colours to black and a very strong contrast in pure silk. the first hatchling was made in turquoise.
I used a layer of shot organza over the top of the silk, stitching with variegated threads and then a sprinkling of micro sequins. The antennae made from finely, knotted hemp string.

Several other colour ways followed, the most popular at the moment being the green.
After a making session one day I placed all the swallowtails on my mannequin and this sparked a new idea!
The swallowtail necklace was born. I decided to make a combination brooch/necklace, a small silver ring is sewn above the brooch bar, the ribbon and cords can then be threaded through. This was decided after a comment by a follower on Face Book. I'm very lucky to have such inspirational 'cyber
friends'.

The collection is available in my Etsy shop with a new product coming soon, the Swallowtail cuff.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Heatheremb?ref=si_shop
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment